Valident is a website compliance protocol that protects dental professionals and their patients
A dental practice website is a virtual dental centre visible to patients browsing the Internet. Whilst it is an essential practice marketing tool, it MUST fulfill ALL of the Professional Regulations prescribed by the General Dental Council (GDC), the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Dental Practice websites can be separated into two categories:
1) Information only Websites – Static or brochure websites where there are no electronic links displayed or used to convey personal patient data. These websites have to comply with GDC (SI 2002 2013) and CQC Regulations.
2) Information/Communication Websites – Dynamic or transactional websites using electronic communications to harvest personal patient data via messaging or e-forms must comply with SI 2002 2013 AND SI 2003 2426 in accordance with GDC/ICO/CQC Online Compliance Regulations.
Meeting the demands of increasing Internet regulation and preserving the security of electronic communication channels within a professional environment is a highly demanding exercise. Specialized knowledge and services are essential to avoid expensive pitfalls and the threat of disciplinary action and enforcement. The use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) carries special responsibilities that are regulated
The Dentists Act 1984 (GDC)
Health and Social Care Act 2008 (CQC)
The Data Protection Act 1998 (ICO)
Disability and Discrimination Act 1999 Pt II (Website Accessibility)
The Devolved Authorities with responsibilities to enforce the regulation of Dental Care Professionals using the Internet are:
- Privacy notices code of practice
- A complete guide to notification
- Data sharing code of practice
- Personal information online code of practice
- Data Protection Act 1998 – Legal Guidance
VALIDENT Services and Assistance
- Valident Website Guide
- The Dentist Articles; Website Warning, Compliant Websites, Website Worries, Website Wisdom and More Website Worries
- BDJ Articles; Does Your Practice Website Need Updating?, Quality and Content of Dental Practice Websites, Summary of: Quality and Content of Dental Practice Websites. The Use of ICT in Dentistry.
- Online security www.scionssl.com
- Dr Nigel Knott; The Sovereignty of Patient Data
Latest News – Use of ICT in Dentistry
- Dr Nigel Knott; The protection of sensitive patient data online
All Valident customers are eligible to use the Consultancy Service to ensure their dental practice website fulfills all of the GDC/CQC/ICO Regulations by registering here.
I trust the Valident service will provide you with a valuable secure communication facility to enable you, your patients and your colleagues to interact within a safe online environment. As a dental surgeon with very many years experience in practice I also know about the safe professional use of the Internet.
Dr Nigel J Knott BDS LDS RCS (Eng.)
CEO Dentsure Ltd